What is Magento? What is the role of Magento for Vietnamese businesses? This is a question asked by many businesses today. Especially for businesses new to e-commerce platforms, the question “What is Magento?” becomes more important than ever.
More specifically, in the period of continuous development of technology, the importance of eCommerce cannot be denied in the business activities of every business. In the past few years, the phrase “Magento ThaiLand” is gradually becoming the most searched keywords in the Vietnamese business world. Magento in particular or e-commerce in general is making a significant contribution to digital transformation and online shopping today.
So what is Magento? Does it contribute in the process of building eCommerce website for businesses? Is Magento really the leading e-commerce platform? In the following article, SmartOSC would like to share all the information you need to know about Magento.
What is Magento? Magento Overview
Magento is an eCommerce platform that helps create an e-commerce web system. Initialized from the Zend Framework, it uses MVC patterns to manage and store data.
Magento offers two different platforms:
- Magento Open-source (formerly Magento Community Edition)
- Magento Commerce: the second version is available in an on-premises edition (formerly Magento Enterprise Edition) or as a platform-as-a-service (formerly Magento Enterprise Cloud Edition).
In addition, there are two previous platforms, Magento Professional Edition and Magento Go.
Magento Open Source is a free version of Magento available. Meanwhile, the Magento Commerce version is a paid version, often used by large businesses.
You can learn more about what Magento open-source is and what Magento Commerce is by reading more articles below.
History of Magento
Magento started as an Italian company Varien.
- 2007: Developed by Roy Rubin and Yoav Kutner. The first version was released in August 2007
- 2008: Named Bento. The first community version was introduced in June 2008.
- 2009: Magento has a large number of users. Paid version released in April 2009
- 2011: eBay invests in purchasing Magento, with the goal of developing Magento Enterprise (the professional version of Magento that integrates the most powerful features for “terrible” websites of large sales stores) and Magento Go (the Magento version has pay monthly fee, mainly include Hosting service for user’s website)
- 2015: Magento officially stopped providing Magento Go service
- 2017: Hillhouse Investment Fund invests $250 million in Magento
- 2018: Adobe acquires Magento for $1.68 billion, Adobe has sought to diversify its digital media products making it one of the largest software companies in the world, and this acquisition of Magento could be aims to penetrate deeply into the e-commerce industry.
- 2021: Magento Commerce is merged with Adobe Commerce Cloud by Adobe, renamed Adobe Commerce in April 2021. The reason Adobe is doing this is because it wants to bring the e-commerce platform to a wider range of customers across different industries.
What is Magento? Why use Magento?
There are thousands of eCommerce platforms in the world, so what makes Magento stand out?
Magento is suitable for many different types of businesses
Unlike overseas, Magento is mainly used for small and medium enterprises (SMEs). In Vietnam, medium to large businesses are more suitable for this platform. The main reason lies in the fact that Magento is essentially an open source, so it is easy to integrate with other systems.
Magento is an open source e-commerce platform
When it comes to eCommerce platforms, we can immediately think of open-source (open source) and close-source (closed source) platforms.
- With other open-source platforms (eg: WooCommerce): Magento’s position can be affirmed also because of its integration ability.
- With closed source platforms (eg demandware vs hybrid): their integration is difficult and expensive
Therefore, choosing an open source code always brings more benefits to businesses in the future. For example, you can integrate payment gateways or other types of connections more easily at a reasonable cost. This helps your business no matter how big it grows, Magento can still completely change and adapt to suit your business.
Magento has a strong ecosystem
Another reason why your business should use Magento is because the Magento ecosystem as well as the Magento community is large and rich. You can completely choose themes or integrate Magento extensions or 3rd parties to use.
What are the obstacles for businesses when using Magento?
This is the biggest obstacle for businesses when using Magento. Although there are two free and paid versions, the free version is limited in many features, while the cost of the paid version is up to $ 18,000 – $ 40,000 or more. Moreover, this is only the cost of maintaining the system for 1 year.
The question for businesses is is it really worth spending that much just to use all the features of Magento? This is an expense that even large businesses have to consider more or less.
Rare Magento developer and partner
Solving the above expensive cost problem, many businesses have decided to choose the free version, or Magento Open-source, and recruit or work with a team of Magento developers to integrate features like the paid version.
However, because Magento is a difficult platform, it requires programmers with long experience and knowledge of Magento to be able to handle it. Moreover, there are not many Magento programmers, so businesses often choose to contact Magento’s partners to work. After all, this is a platform that is well worth the long-term investment.
What are the features of Magento system?
Magento Basic Features
Magento provides basic features of a commercial website such as:
- Product, category, inventory management: Integrate multiple images, product review options, favorites, and inventory import and export management.
- User management: Quickly create and update accounts, transaction history, favorites, addresses, shopping carts…
- Customer service: Enhanced features, customer contact form, comprehensive tracking, email service.
- Payment: Multiple payment methods such as credit card, Paypal, Authorize.net, Google Checkout, support for external payment modules such as CyberSource, ePay, eWAY, etc.
- Search technology: Fast, convenient, support searching on Google SiteMap.
- Language support and currency conversion.
- Promotion and marketing tools: Coupons, promotions and many options.
- Analytics and reporting: Integrates with the Google Analytics service and provides a variety of reports.
Magento’s outstanding features compared to other platforms
Magento has overcome the limited features of open source and get the most useful features in a free version, the most prominent of which are:
- Wish Lists: share, store products, product list for each user.
- Multi store/mall feature: multiple stores, warehouse, point of sale.
- Email lists: Email lists, filtering, sorting and storing, for marketing.
- Compare products: compare and contrast products.
- Bundle/Grouped/Digital products & more: bundles, product groups, separate attributes for each product.
- CMS system for static pages: static pages help to design independently of the product system and create customization for each sales strategy.
- Good SEO performance: available optimization with search engines, built-in SEO.
- Advanced searching: advanced search and search customization, helping you navigate users.
- Layered/Filter navigation: create smart filters yourself, customize filters according to specific situations to help display products, search for products in the smartest way.
In addition, Magento also has a synchronization feature that helps synchronize data between the software you already have with a brand new website, an optimized structure from the beginning and an active community between users and developers. .
Magento 2 Features and Improvements
The above has talked about what the basic features of Magento are as well as why the platform uses Magento. However, since the launch of Magento 2, Magento has edited and improved a lot of features to help bring a better experience not only for businesses but also for users. This makes Magento even more a platform worth using for businesses. So what are the outstanding features of Magento 2? Let’s find out together!
Some of the features of Magento 2 can be mentioned as:
Improve page loading speed
Delivers at least 50% faster page load speeds than other platforms.
You can manage your website and store right on your smartphone.
Simplify administration interface
Now non-specialist users can also edit products and websites completely easily without much programming knowledge to handle.
Integration of online payment gateways
Now Magento has an online payment gateway integrated on the system. You can completely integrate payment gateways on Magento system or choose other payment gateways from 3rd parties.
Auto-scaling to accommodate heavy traffic
Building an e-commerce platform means accepting a large number of customers to your website to make a purchase. The Magento system understands this and automatically increases the processing speed when a large number of users visit the page.
Now the Magento system has automatically added an SEO system to help you manage website links as well as other display systems such as sitemaps, etc. Making it easier for you to search on Google.
Currently, Magento has always been updated and patched periodically, helping to ensure that the information of the store or business is more secure.
Magento Partner in Singapore
In ThaiLand , there are many companies using Magento platform to build websites such as Api, Canon, Hp. Some companies in ThaiLand that are gradually grasping the demand for using Magento have focused on building Magento extensions and are among the top companies providing extensions in the world such as SmartOSC. With more than 5 years of experience in providing solutions for businesses, SmartOSC is proud to be one of the Magento partners with the largest number of Magento 2 certificates in Asia.
Some key jobs of a Magento partner:
- Develop, integrate or customize themes
- Customize Magento core to meet real business processes or requirements
- Developing new extensions
- Customize available extensions developed by third-party vendors
- Create or import categories and products
- Integration with other systems such as ERP, CRM, POS, payment gateways
- Update new versions when Magento releases new versions
- Performance tuning
=>>>> See more articles: https://www.smartosc.com/insights/Dich-vu-phat-trien-Magento-tron-goi
Should I use Magento or not?
This question is probably easier to answer when you read through Magento’s features and what Magento has to do with businesses above.
Magento brings a lot of benefits to businesses and users, not only because of its superior features compared to other platforms but also by providing a perfect experience when users shop on your e-commerce website.
Instead of using other platforms like Shopify, WooCommerce and then linking with third-party software to use features, Magento will bring an “all-in-one” admin. Although you can use many platforms to optimize costs, it will not be an option for businesses with long-term goals.
So choosing Magento will be a wise choice for smart businesses. The only thing you need to worry about when using Magento is that Magento requires you to have an in-depth programming team in this field. However, you can completely contact SmartOSC – the official partner of Magento ThaiLand for support. Feel free to contact us to get more in-depth advice on Magento in particular and e-commerce in general!
Article source: https://www.smartosc.com/